Legio X Fretensis

Legio X Fretensis, Cohors IV, is a living history re-enactment group based out of California dedicated to bringing into the present the memories and traditions of the ancient Roman Empire during the first centuries A.D.

Monday, August 25, 2008

A Memory: Planning the Hadrian’s Wall Hike

Our Centurio in his civilian disguise, as mild-mannered Bob Garbisch, March 28,2006

This was the day Bob got me first geared up for Legio X Fretensis’s Hadrian’s Wall Hike. I had, before this, participated in a Central Valley hike, which was quite an experience. This was going to be the Big Kahuna. Britain! Hadrian’s Wall! The edge of Empire!

Bob took me into his garage and we started plowing through tons of gear. Literally.

Try this on for size!

You can see the leather chest guard, a steel torc and this conical helmet. Note there are left-and-right feather-slits right over the ears. A properly decorated helmet would have tall plumes indicating a swift scout.

What a ludicrous sight! But now you can see more how the armor works. I actually did use the helmet and the bag on the trip. We skipped the armor. Apparently as a scout (exploratio), I was going to be afforded my tunica and that was about all the armor I needed. *gulp!*

Britain, here we come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home